Associate – Senior Counsel / Partner - Insolvency and Dispute Resolution - Walkers (Jersey) LLP
||Walkers (Jersey) LLP
Associate – Senior Counsel to Partner - Insolvency and Dispute Resolution ("IDR")
Walkers is offering a unique opportunity to an ambitious and technically strong lawyer to join its market leading global Insolvency and Dispute Resolution ("IDR") business, and to play a key role in helping to build out its Channel Islands' IDR practice so as to become the leading practice in the region. The successful candidate will be based in the Firm's Jersey office, and will work alongside leading practitioners in that office in expanding out the Jersey IDR business in line with the general expansion across all of the firm's practice groups in the Channel Islands.
The available position in the team is a senior role which depending upon the candidate could be at Senior Counsel or Partner level, albeit it should be noted that recruitment at Senior Counsel level is being effected with a view to the successful candidate being of the necessary calibre to be considered for progression to partnership in the Firm in the near to medium term. The level of autonomy offered to the successful candidate, and their involvement in the business building aspects of the practice, will be commensurate with this potential for career development.
SCOPE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Senior Counsel or Partner in the Firm's IDR Practice in Jersey.
- Advise on a wide range of contentious financial services related matters (including trust, funds and corporate disputes and administrative court applications) for professional corporate and trust service providers (including administrators and trustees), banks and other financial institutions and family office or high net worth individuals;
- Work (directly and also with clients' overseas law firms) on extensive commercial litigation and dispute resolution matters;
- Advise a varied client base which includes insolvency practitioners, banks and other financial institutions, corporates, creditors, directors and shareholders on both contentious and non-contentious corporate recovery and insolvency matters;
- Provide expert support to Walkers corporate, funds and private capital teams working on transactions for clients;
- Proactively assist in the expansion and growth of the Jersey office's IDR practice, working alongside the Jersey, Guernsey, London, Caribbean, Asian and Middle Eastern parts of the firm's IDR practice. This will involve becoming engaged in, and (in time) leading the implementation of, cross-border initiatives aimed at ensuring the Firm leverages its Channel Islands business across the global business.
- Proactively assist in developing and expanding client relationships important to the Firm’s success at the same time becoming a valued resource to clients. This will involve taking ownership of the development of relationships with core clients.
- Participate in the development of the practice’s know-how, share knowledge and actively participate in conferences, seminars and internal training.
- Provide technically sound advice and highly responsive service to clients, and support colleagues, and partners on all client matters.
- Maintain a sustained record of revenue generation and profitability; follow recommended billing rates; manage costs appropriately; ensure personal utilisation meets expectations.
- Adhere to Firm's values and professional ethics and proactively seek resolution of conflicts.
Key Skills and Qualifications
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 10 years' post qualification insolvency or dispute resolution experience.
- Excellent academics.
- Ambitious and commercially driven.
- Solid legal skills with competent understanding of relevant market and client industries and technical knowledge of the relevant law.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work successfully in a collaborative environment, a team player, willing to support others regardless of personal role or task and to help others in identifying needs and crafting development plans.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Jersey jurisdiction experience and/or familiarity with offshore financial service providers preferred but not essential
- Ability to use legal precedents and timekeeping and billing systems.
- Ability to support efforts to attract new clients and develop new initiatives.
For more information or to apply for this job, please contact Tina Waring at Tina.firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information or to apply for this job please contact: